Thursday, February 9, 2012

Welcome Baby Mason!

Mason's birth story:

My mother came down on Thursday so we could make some meals for the freezer. She came at a perfect time...
I went to the Dr. on Friday Jan 27 and found that I was 2cm dilated (that is a big step) and then I asked the doctor if she could strip my membranes...I guess I heard that it hurt but HOLY HELL (excuse my French)! I wasn't prepared for it to hurt like it did! Since my mother was in town, she suggested that Marc and I go out for lunch being that it could be my last meal out before that baby was born. Marc and I went to Chili's for lunch and I started to have some cramps. When we got back from lunch, mom and I went to Walmart to pick up some items and I started to have a few contractions. By 3:20pm I was starting to write down my contractions and they were about 20 minutes apart, by 5 or 6pm they were 7-12 minutes apart. This was all very different for me since I never had to deal with labor at home with Emilee. Marc and mom were able to get Emilee to bed and by 9pm Marc was rushing me to the hospital (my contractions were 3-4 minutes apart). When we got up to the floor I was still only dilated to a 2- super crazy. By midnight I was still only dilated to a 2 and my doctor was next door with another patient and she came in and said that she was going to start Pitocin since my contractions were not letting up and I wasn't dilating any more. I got an epidural (you don't win a prize for being brave with no drugs)! It worked for awhile and then it started to wear off (they said it was the way the baby was sitting). By 4AM I was dilated to 4cm. How frustrating! Meanwhile, during the night I was getting IV fluids, etc. The machines were constantly beeping- Marc went out to the nurses station at one point and said "don't you guys hear that?!" {Our night shift nurses were terrible! Let me go back for a minute: when I got my epidural, I started to itch really bad- the anesthesiologist said to give me some IV Benadryl ...1 hour later I still didn't have any Benadryl on board and Marc said if he scratched my legs any harder I would be scarred for life! Then I started not to feel very well so I pushed the call button and then my hearing started to go- this is a tall tail sign that I was going to pass out- I decided that I needed to lower the head of my bed and at that point my vision was almost gone so I told Marc he needed to go and get the nurse (since they never answered the call light! Instead of one of the nurses coming in, the doctor herself came in to help me! Gotta love her! My blood pressure was 70's/40's (really low)- I got some medications on board and then all was good for awhile]. By shift change (7AM) our new nurse came in to check to see how much I had dilated....all she said was "do you feel the urge to push?" I told her no and she said "whatever you do, don't push! I was dilated to a 10 and 100% effaced and she could feel his head!!! When the doctor came she got gowned and it took me only 3 counts of 10 and baby Mason was born!!! I didn't feel anything because they didn't have time to turn off the epidural so I couldn't feel anything [AMAZING ;)] We had the names Jacob and Mason picked out and I let Marc make the final decision since I did that with Emilee. Now our children share our initials.
Now, fast forward a few hours... I was started to have a pain like a constant contraction (OUCH)...so the nurse kept pushing on my uterus (wanting it to clamp down) but it was so painful. She wanted to me get up and try to pee but I couldn't because my legs were still numb from the epidural so she wanted me to wait until I could feel my legs... I tried to put on brave face for when my mother and Emilee came up to visit but by the end of their visit I was wanting to crawl out of my skin because I was in so much pain (I had already tried the 800mg Ibuprofen and a warm blanket). The nurse then started to fear that I had blood clots so she pressed even harder on my abdomen...GRRRR. I finally told her that she had to do something- either wheel me into the bathroom or straight cath me and if urine wasn't the problem that she would need to call the doctor but something needed to be done and be done NOW!!! (I think sometimes health care people are their own worst enemy but sometimes WE NEED TO JUST LISTEN!) The nurse finally decided to straight cath me- INSTANT RELIEF! I had 1500cc of urine in my bladder and a normal full bladder is about 1200cc. I was miserable until I was drained! I was ready for a drink after that!
Despite all the mishaps, my labor was about 16 hours and now we have a healthy and handsome baby boy! We couldn't be more happy and blessed!
Emilee loved Mason from the first time she set eyes on him! Everything is "Mason, Mason, Mason!!!"
Her adjustment to him has been great but she is acting up a little bit towards mom and dad- we will get through this (the last several days she has been much better towards us). We are all going through an adjustment period but are all doing well. Emilee has continued to go to school her 3 days a week (daddy was taking and picking her up but Tuesday I braved it with both kids and even got her there on-time). I am sure this will be old hat by the end of next week!
Time for some pictures!!! xo


Emilee and mommy the night I was in labor


Emilee seeing Mason for the first time


Mason Allan 7#7.6 oz, 20 inchs, 1/28/2012 at 0744am


Emilee holding Mason


Our new family of 4!


Going home!


First bath at home...a little assistance from Emilee


Emilee LOVES kissing her brother


Emilee saw that Mason was naked and wanted to be- so she stripped down and we had them do skin-to-skin. It was the best thing ever!!! They both enjoyed it :)


Lil' peanut!









No comments: